[1.2.7] Screen real estate and link placement [Fire 8]

One thing I’ve noticed – consistently across all platforms, not just on the Fire – is that your apps like to “breathe large”; they “push back” hard if screen resolution isn’t sufficiently high, or I’ve got my Font scaling set too big, or my browser’s trim encroaches on usable pane dimensions, etc.
I realize that’s a stylistic choice we all make with Web apps, and I applaud you sticking with reasonable minimums to keep the UI manifestly clickable, readable, and frankly awesome-looking. However, I will say that “graceful failover” and repagination may be in order when users would otherwise encounter a screen (like the one I 'shotted below) whose non-breaking blocks throw valuable DOM objects off the workspace without introducing, say, a scrollbar where needed to reach them.

Here, of course, we’re just talking about the Donation button… but the button itself also appears to be “broken” (do I see “Not Found” displayed?).

I know, it’s weird that the very first thing I came here to test is your DONATION BUTTON, but it was in the context of me wanting to advise you to place said buttons around a bit more liberally, for users (like me) who want to reward your efforts monetarily. :smiley:

1 Like

Follow-up to let you know the “bulge” resulted from my having set the Fire 8’s Font Size setting to “Large”. Dropping it back down a notch to “Default” results in perfect rendering of the “Donation” screen.

Still, scaling may be in order if that’s possible, to accommodate old fogies like me who need to read text on tiny devices, LOL.

Few things here…

First of all, the Google payment system doesn’t work on Amazon but I have to figure out a way to detect the device and perhaps hide it on that ecosystem.

Secondly, there is no DOM and the pixel layout engine is just placing the button in the available space - which is none on such a small vertical screen.

I’ll look into both so that they more gracefully handle these conditions

1 Like

It sucks that Amazon and Google can’t play nicely together. Really makes a developer’s job all the harder, not to mention withholds a lot of nice interoperability features from consumers. Format wars… I tell ya.