Mobile Dashboard: Setting up Relationships and Tabs

Hi,

I must have missed something here but is there a way to:

1. Setup a parent dashboard with my mobile device?
  2. Pick and choose which children are linked to it?
  3. Pick and choose which tabs within my dashboard I want to show?

This is what I have setup and could use some help on how to better understand based on my questions:

Thanks!

In the setting area.

You can use Guest Management

However, It is more a case of assigning a dashboard to a user/guest. As the “admin user” you, as parent get everything in which ever manner you choose.

So in your case I would create a/several child dashboards depending on what privileges they are trusted with and assign them to children and perhaps a master dash for the grown ups.

A bit of planning never goes amiss and I was often told to think on paper.

Kind Regards
Scott

1 Like
  1. Yes, via Guest Management
  2. Well, kind of via the default dashboard which then has “DashLink tiles” which are used to limit the Guest’s visblity to only the tiles that can be linked to from the original default dashboard.
  3. The tabs will then be limitted for that guest users only showing the available dashboards.

This is correct and the “design” of the app was centered around the concept of allowing Guest users having access for a specific device/dashboard combination (ie my tablet uses a guest generic account reflecting the house and only shows a bunch of dashboards that are appropriate for that device/user, whereas my partner has a mobile set of dashboards that are centered around her use on her phone).

Does that help?

1 Like

Thanks for the responses.

So for the guest (if I’m understanding correctly):

1. I need to create a “DashLink” on my ‘Mobile - Home’ for each dashboard I want them to have access to?

Essentially a “Dash Link” is going to be created on their main screen for EACH dashboard I share. On top of that, tabs as well?

I’m not sure I understand the rationale here. This is going to add un-necessary icons to the dashboard that were already solved with tabs. Why do this? Additionally, it’s taking up extra real estate for the mobile dashboard with one Dash Link being shown per dashboard.

I don’t mean to sound critical, just confused and would like to better understand. Unfortunately my brain is thinking about this much differently.

1 Like

Because showing/having Tabs is a user choice on per device basis (look under Settings). They can turn the display of tabs off and have zero way to find/navigate around the dashboards. Also, tabs was developed “after” the DashLink tiles and subsequently look like they are superfluous.

I guess I could look at ways to visually “hide” DashLink tiles, but note that some users actually prefer the more obvious link to a dashboard in addition to the tabs at the bottom (which can be obscured due to the limited / fixed space available for tabs).

Yes, you’ve got the concept correct.

1 Like

Hi Grant,

Thanks for explaining the history that tabs were developed later on.

I can see the relevance for using tabs or the dash links.

I think this becomes relevant and important with the mobile experience. I had a use case where:

1. Case for DashLink and NO Tab: I had a bunch of routine tiles that get triggered with “virtual switches.” In this instance, I wanted a “dash link” I could click on within my main dashboard to expose them. Having it as a tab didn’t seem relevant and was going to take up extra space on my mobile dashboard.

2. Case for Tab and NO DashLink: Again in the case of mobile, if it’s in a tab, no dash link should be necessary. Saves real estate and redundancy for the mobile design and is clearer from a user experience perspective.

I think this would add great value to the app and happy to help beta test it.

This is available today. You only need to go into Settings and disable the TabBar.

This will require me to add a “Don’t show this tile” option in the tile properties - it would still take up space in terms of being there from an Edit Dashboard perspecitve, but visually I could turn off the tile.

My mistake, let me clarify. I meant there are cases where having a “Dash Link” would be nice without a tab.

For instance I have three tabs:

1. Home
  2. Living Room
  3. Kitchen

I want another dashboard called “Routines” with associated tiles …but I’d just like it to show up as a “Dash Link” and not a tab. I’d continue to see ‘Home’, ‘Living Room’ and ‘Kitchen’ as tabs. Routines would simply be just a “Dash Link” and no tab.

While what I just explained above would be nice to have, I think “Don’t show this tile” would be very valuable and what I’m after. Willing to help test or whatever you need.

I think you need to explain how you see the App figuring out what you want, when you want it.

Step through your scenario and how it would evaluate things (on what objects) and what visually would change on the screen.

Right now, I can’t see (easily) how what you want would be achieved.

Ultimately having control of what tabs I want displayed in hubiVue at the dashboard level would make the most sense:

1. It wouldn’t have to be an “all or none” approach to tabs as noted in the settings.
  2. If a Dash Link is created, it doesn’t need to create a tab in hubiVue. Now they can work independently.

So for my example:

1. Home

2. Kitchen

3. Bedroom

4. Routines

5. I specify I want ‘Home’ 'and ‘Bedroom’ to be my tabs. Those are now independent and no longer have anything to do with Dash Links.

6. I don’t want “Kitchen” as a tab, and therefore I specify I don’t want it in my tab list.

7. I create a ‘Dash Link’ for Routines and have them on my ‘Home’ screen.

8. If I want a “Dash Link” and a “Tab” I can still do so.

That’s the way my brain is seeing it anyway. Thoughts…?

Who is “I” and “my” in this situation? You the account owner, or some Guest that you wish to use the dashboard for.

The confusing part for me is that you state “if a Dash Link is created, it doesn’t need to create a tab in hubiVue” - it doesn’t ?? All that Dash Link tiles do is change the active dashboard to whatever the tile is configured to do (ie change to “Routines”) - it has no bearing on the tabs.

When you’re a Guest though (and that’s the bit that I’m confused about) you need some way to nominate which dashboard is allowed to be viewed/seen. Currently, that’s done via having a Dash Link tile in only the default dashboard that points to the allowed dashboards.

e.g. Home has 2x DashLink tiles that each point to Kitchen and Routines. If you login to the app using a Guest account, and have the Home dashboard as your default, then you will only see/have access to the Home, Kitchen and Routines dashboard. The tab settings (visible or not) is irrelevant and you will only see / have access to the defined dashboards.

EDIT: Note that as an account owner, you can (and must) see all of the dashboards at all times. Otherwise you can’t edit/configure them (or some other dialog would be needed to see them so that you can navigate to them and edit them) - currently the app works by assuming all dashboards are visible for the account owner.

I’m not sure (with the scenario you’ve outlined) how that applies to this.

But you still wish to see it right? So what happens to the tabbar when the Kitchen dashboard is shown? How do you navigate away from the kitchen to another dashboard?

My bad and apologies, it’s been a very long day. I forgot about the account owner / guest architecture of hubiVue and went down the wrong path with my logic. I’m still trying to get used to this concept and way too used to parent / child relationships. Also I’m still tinkering with this app as an account owner most of the time and haven’t spent enough time from the guest perspective.

I think this is the way to go as well. Thanks for working with me on this.

1 Like

All good. We love working with our customers and want to build great software - so always happy to discuss various options and scenarios.